Friday, March 5, 2010

"Its Friday Box!"

Fridays are a funny day in our household, they are probably my hardest day of the week. This is unusual in itself I guess, as people often love Fridays, but for me it is a day of transition. One week, Friday marks the day my three stepchildren return from a week at their Mother's place; Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I am simply saying it brings with it a change of pace - the house becomes busier, harder to keep clean, the kids fight more on this first day back and everyone's moods are out of whack - So that Friday is chaotic, but I sleep very well that night having all the kids back under one roof!

The following Friday the kids return back to their Mothers so the morning is chaotic trying to ensure that nothing is forgotten. I also spend most of this Friday stressing about my Son going off to his Dads for the weekend, don't get me wrong they do a great job and he has a lot of fun, it has nothing to do with that, I just worry endlessly about everything -separation anxiety I guess. I get little sleep that Friday night (which is tonight by the way) The week just goes from one extreme to the other and even coming down from the busyness or quietness of the week can make Fridays rather unsettling.

So I do a few things to make Fridays a fun, less stressful day; One thing we have done for a little while now is have 'Ravioli Night' it's my Son's favourite food and he looks forward to it each fortnight. I am going to make it every Friday night as of next week as the other kids have asked about it. We often watch a movie together or play a board game also.

Today I started up the "Its Friday Box!" I bought a simple storage box and each Friday will fill it with a different activity. I decided to start the box off with Playdoh today, I made 3 different colours of microwave playdoh and filled the box with these and some playdoh tools. I left the box on the table for when my Son got home, he was so excited, got straight into it and it was a great way to fill in the rainy afternoon. I thought some other ideas would be painting, woodcraft, beading, drawing, bubbles, ball games, cooking.. the ideas could be endless.. It was quite the novelty! Already he is looking forward to what may be in next Fridays box
~*Daily Note to Self *~ Best to stick to a list when grocery shopping! And smile at grumpy check-out operators, at least you are having a good day, it may rub off!

No comments:

Post a Comment