Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Old School Memories..




I went back to my old school this week to do some relief teaching, how odd that was! 2 days with a year 2/3 class in my old year 2 classroom! And how ironic it was in this classroom that I had my heart set on being a teacher 22 years ago!

An older school with its original buildings now being 143 years old, I love the stairwells, brick buildings and gorgeous huge trees that landscape the grounds. I hadnt been back in many years so it was nice to go for a wander and see how I remembered things compared to my memory. Isn't it funny that everything seems so much bigger when your a kid? For example the Library used to seem quite large, but yesterday with the class of kids in it, it seemed quite small - I used to feel like I could get lost in that library. Toilets and drinking taps are another thing that seems to shrink as we get older; as little people sometimes we had to stand on our tippy toes to reach.

Walking down the familiar hallways felt the same and seeing my old friends names up on the school captain/house captain board was a blast from the past. Other areas that bought back memories were the tuckshop, the big tree on the oval (notorious year 7 kissing spot!) and the area where us as year sevens were allowed to 'hang out'.

Things that have changed are obviously new playgrounds, room changes such as the staff room now being in the old special education unit and smart boards instead of blackboards. The school population seems so much smaller than I remember but the general ambience of the school is still the same.. I also went to my Husbands old primary school the other day and he also asked questions about the layout of his school.. its funny how our primary school's can make such an impression on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment